The entrance examinations for the TOPS program are very difficult. The Mathematics examination is composed of multiple choice questions and while 80% is based on the concepts of grade 7 and 8, these concepts are examined at a higher level than it is typical in your school. The remaining 20% of the mathematics exam is based on concepts beyond grade 8. The science examination is a very challenging multiple choice test that evaluates the four major sciences: physics, biology, chemistry and astronomy. To excel on this examination you will have to read further in these subjects than is/was typically expected in your grade 7 or 8 classroom. Admission to the TOPS program is merit-based. The process seeks to identify and then further train the most promising young scientific minds who apply. TOPS is an opportunity for tremendous enrichment, but the students in the program will have to have already reached an advanced level of accomplishment on their own merits. In part, this will be identified on these examinations, hence their difficulty.
Online registration for the 2019 TOPS exam is not yet open. Information will be available soon.
Important documents for TOPS applicants:
- 2019 TOPS information package
- 2019 TOPS application information
- 2019 TOPS application package
- Optional attendance form for TDSB students
- Practice questions for Science and Mathematics
The 2019 TOPS Entrance Exam will be held at Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute on Friday, November 15th at 9:00 AM. Applicants are asked to arrive at 8:30 AM. Please make sure you have all required documents for the TOPS exam here.